JOB OPPORTUNITY - DEPUTY DIRECTOR
Organizational Description: Founded in 2005, the mission of The Gathering for Justice is to build a movement to end child incarceration while working to eliminate the racial inequities in the criminal justice system that enliven mass incarceration. The Gathering for Justice also oversees two state based task-forces: Justice League CA and Justice League NYC.
Job Description: G4J seeks a highly-qualified and entrepreneurial candidate to join its dynamic and growing team as Deputy Director. This position is a critically important role, serving as a thought partner to the Executive Director, strengthening the internal foundation that supports the Executive Director's significant external responsibilities and commitments to G4J partners, funders, and the Board of Directors.
The Deputy Director will work as part of a larger dynamic organization with staff in New York City and in the state of California. The Deputy Director will serve as part of the Senior Leadership Team, and supervise the Director of Operations, National Organizer, Director of Communications, and Director of Development. The person in this position will be based in G4J’s main office in New York and will play a leading role in implementing G4J five-year strategic plan as well as leading the development of subsequent strategic plans
Responsibilities include, but not be limited to the following:
Strategic Planning & Capacity Building
- Serve as strategic thinking partner to Executive Director. Stand in for the Executive Director as needed.
- Project & Programs Coordination: Ensure alignment among G4J programs by working with Senior Staff to align their actions and communications in support of agreed upon goals and, when such alignment is absent, sharing this fact with the ED and recommending mitigation approaches.
- Participate as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team and develop, in concert with the team, new and innovative strategies in support of the organization’s mission and vision in the next stage of growth.
- Manage organizational calendar and lead quarterly and annual planning processes.
- Actively hold the big picture of the organization and lead the implementation of G4J’s strategic plan, which includes working closely with Executive Director and Senior programs staff (department directors in Community Mobilization, Government Relations, and Communications & Public Affairs) to build capacity of programs to advance strategic planning goals.
- Lead the development of new strategic plans in anticipation of the completion of current plans.
- Work with staff to integrate assessment and evaluation into all organizational programs and initiatives.
- In collaboration with the Director of Operations, oversee the organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems.
- In collaboration with Executive Director, oversee preparation and finalization of materials for G4J Board of Directors meetings.
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, ensure G4J’s fund development plan is being advanced.
- Leadership of special projects: Scope, plan, and execute strategic organizational projects as agreed upon.
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of G4J and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be discrete, energetic, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator with solid written and oral communication skills, detail oriented, and committed to the vision and values of G4J.
- At least 8-10 years of experience demonstrating progressive responsibility in a closely related field
- Demonstrate a commitment to juvenile and criminal justice issues and related social justice issues (mass incarceration, police brutality, etc.)
- Focus and flexibility as well as willingness to play an active role
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high level of integrity and sound judgment and ability to communicate and work collaboratively across the organization openly and with respect
- Strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and strong analytical skills
- Strategic and financial analysis skills
- Superior written and oral skills required;
- Willingness to work hard and take direction—but also creatively solve problems for which the answers aren’t always obvious
- Master’s degree or its equivalent in a related field
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Application procedure: If you are interested in applying please send your resume, cover letter, a brief writing sample and salary requirements via email to: email@example.com. Please write Deputy Director Application on the e-mail subject line.
Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Gathering for Justice is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, LGBTQ persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.